Monday, January 12, 2004

Ok, so here's a review from Rolling Stone, and a quick explanation of the storyline if you aren't familiar with it, and I wasn't. And I don't like to talk much more about a movie in case you haven't seen it. I think you should. I think so anyhow.

Big Fish. Personally, it's a fascinating, thought-provoking movie filled with over-the-tops subtleties that can lead you right to the edge of Why. Personally, it was one of the only movies I think I've ever seen that made me sweaty, concentrating trying not to cry, not to cry, must not cry. I'd be surprised if I ever didn't like a movie Tim Burton directed. And even though I have liked some of this movies better than others, his message is always the inspiring undying eclectic possibilities of positivity applied toward the mundane trials of realism, especially. For me, I need that. Plus, if you sprinkle in some freak show characters, and I do mean actual freak show people, that I can relate to and be mesmerized by for 126 minutes, then I'm hooked. But really, it's got to be done well, in the way that only Tim Burton and his entourage can do it.

"Big Fish" isn't the typical Tim Burton movie, as if any of his movies are ever typical. But it does show honesty, depth and odd, dream-like beauty you rarely see from anyone but Burton, it seems to me. For anyone who may not like this movie: Man, what can I say? Just remember, you'll wish for him one day, right after "Charlie's Angels 5". Yes, I predict that "Torque" will sadly out-perform "Big Fish" at the box office, but it will be for the same reason that "Don't try this at home" disclaimers have to be put on every dangerous-looking car commercial. It's because a lot of people are just plain dull. And average age of about 14, too, I guess.

My grandma always said "Remember, it takes much less creativity to show someone's head violently blown into bits than it does to show the universe of creativity inside some people's heads." No, she didn't say that, but she did actually laugh at one of my jokes once.

If you like happen to be fascinated with freak shows, and odds are if you are reading here more than once then you do, then I recommend "Geek Love" by Katherine Dunn. It's actually fairly dark but it's worth the few bright windows inside. She really can write a very interesting story.

And so can Daniel Wallace, author of "Big Fish", "Ray in Reverse" and "The Watermelon King" which I couldn't help myself and had to order three minutes ago. I'll let you know how it goes, because I need more more more.



No comments: