Monday, August 25, 2003

Shite. I forgot to bring my toiletpaper to work.

I was going to scan it and display the artwork here, proudly. Without getting into any unneccessary details, massive does of B5 will dry your T-zone and wring you out like a toxic sponge. Fine by me, as I finish 1.5 liters of water for the day.

So there I was in a solid white bathroom with nothing to ponder but my feet and the pattern on the toiletpaper. I roll off five or six sheets and discover this pleasing little pattern. I hold it up to the light and find three repeating butterflies sized small, medium and large, frolicking amongst the swirly trails they've left behind for each other. It was really quite nice.

And when I look at something like that, I realize all the work that went into that process:

Someone was given the task of designing a simple toiletpaper pattern, one that repeats into eternity. After a few failed attempts at puppies, ladybugs and teddy bears, maybe that someone had a creative director who suggested "go with something natural, one that suggests nature." Getting paid to tell someone that type of input amazes me sometimes.

So, off someone went to the computer to design a pattern: Something from nature, something pretty. Something that would look good quilted onto rolls and rolls of toiletpaper. Something that didn't remind that someone of mistakes made along the way leading them to a career in toiletpaper-making.

Something pretty that would be overly-scrutinized by someone over them, someone quite possibly as hollow as a toiletpaper tube, who would feel compelled to edit in order to validate their place in the toiletpaper-making business. Eventually, someone's design would be re-editted and approved internally, then would be seen fit and worthy to take it to the people appointed to make the critical toiletpaper-making decisions – the Higher Ups in the toiletpaper-making process.

And if the Higher Ups didn't crap on it, then it was ready to go. Out of the shop, on to the toiletpaper-making engineers, off to the toiletpaper-making mill and onto thousands, perhaps millions, of rolls of toiletpaper around the world.

All this effort just to produce something that no one else in the world but me would notice as good, as everyone else blindly uses someone's hardwork to toiletpaper their oblivious unmentionables.

Well I know how someone feels. Except on a smaller scale and on much less important products than toiletpaper. Whoever did it, wherever they are right now, I respect them as someone who tried, despite the purpose or the inevitable.

No comments: