Wednesday, May 14, 2003

I still can't get past the Birthday Cake Shake from this morning's post.There are some things you just shouldn't kid about. The power of a shake. I remember hearing the Sonic commercial the other night and from across the room those three words sliced through the clanging dish-washing and pot-scrubbing. And for a sharpened, split second, I think I could see every leaf on the tree outside.

"Hey Ron... Did they say 'Birthday Cake Sha–"

"Yes," he politely interrupted, "Yes they did." And he sighed heavily as if to say, "Where did you put the car keys."

But I have willpower. Oh yes. Yesss.

Even though all I have thought of since then was, well, work. Trying to get excited about writing radio spots touting Okra Festivals... well, that takes an extreme amount of concentration to mute a test pattern in your head all day, trust me. But every now and then, I hear that knock on that door that keeps my mind in tact most times. And there it was, the muffled rapping on the other side of that useless door, and the sound of those three words that quite possibly should never be together: birthday, cake and shake.

Not if anyone expects any work out of me anyhow. Beetlejuice, beetlejuice, beetleju – NO!

Just as long as they don't mention spicy, barbecue, sauce, french and fries, I may be able to make it through one more day.

Tonight, I'm going to the movie "A Mighty Wind." I'll be back tomorrow to gush over Christopher Guest and his brilliance.




No comments: