Monday, October 09, 2006


Trivia Night update:
Big Jim Slade wins.

When I say things like "we won first place",
I actually mean Ron, Susan, and who(m)ever else is present
with a real education and working knowledge.
But I do know one thing for sure:
I always enjoy tater tots and bar napkins.
Most days, that is really all I need to know.

"What President is pictured on the $100,000 bill?"
I didn't even know there was a $100,000 bill.

"What bird can fly upside down?
It depends on how hard you throw them, I think.

When the first round categories were announced,
I thought I might be able to actually play this time,
being that they started with the topics "Beer" and "Candy",
and that I'm high on steroids for my whinging, aching back.
(New and improved pain
with 157% blinding pinched nerve action!)



"In America, beer from the tap is spelled 'draft',
but how is it spelled in the UK?"

Isn't it sad I got excited that I knew,
and that everyone at the table pretended for my sake that they didn't?

and

"What insect is pictured on the front of Bit O' Honey bar?"

Again, it just made me heady to get off to such a strong start.

But that rich mixture of tots, napkins, pens, meds, caffeine,
sugar, and inexpensive bourbon,
just set me up for over-confidence and
"The Mighty Fall" with the question:

"Over 200 years ago, three immigrants named
(someone, someone, and Gustav)
opened up the first major department store in New York City
(something tater tot something).
What was the name of that department store?"

Hint 01: It's not Macy's,
and Hint 02: Stick with your husband's gut reaction,
unless you enjoy unnecessary guilt.

But again, with a pen in one hand and a tot in the other,
I will always have a good time. And on steroids?
Where do I begin my newfound love for Prednisone...

Let me get back to you with that later,
after I finally accept that I cannot fly,

don't remember much of yesterday
except for bright lights, the vacuuming of walls
and the spit-shining of floors,

and after I stop triple-checking to see
if I'm wearing my skin inside out.
It's a good ride.







No comments: