Monday, December 02, 2002

Things I am thankful for:
or "a holiday's debriefing"

• Truth: That I love my true friends; they are the greatest things I could ever have in my life. They are amazing people, each one of them, from whom I learn constantly. And that my parents are honestly just good, decent people who would never hurt a fly, who usually get bulldozed for being so compassionate, who support each other and enjoy the smallest things in life, and who are their own source of constant entertainment, like a sitcom. I appreciate that they have an enormous sense of humor, twisted and normal. And they make me feel better knowing where I get my strange flaws from, as well as where my loves in life really are. And, that Ron is the quite possibly the greatest boy in the whole upper-right quadrant of the universe, always there and always selfless without being minus his true self. Even if he does have a dog as big as a goat, and he does fold laundry like a guy, the electricity of his thoughts overpowers the stupidest damn things that have always tried to get in my way.

• Justice: That my sister (or what's left of her) finally had to pay for her behavior and is now on probation for two years, due to her tendency toward domestic violence and the charges against her. Good. My whole family is so used to letting her get away with murder, being held emotionally hostage by her self-induced dramas, that it's just so weird for justice to be served up to her like a big plate of deep-fried turkey and Aqua Velva or whatever it is she drinks now. Cheers to you for throwing your life under a bus with both hands. And, oh yes, "I've thought of something for you to be thankful for – that you're not living under a bridge yet." And to anyone who feels sorry for her, we've all been there. And you must be a nice person, and I apologize to you in advance. She's possessed. Worst thing is that she likes it that way.

• The American Way: That people can grow away from harm's way if they choose, that subjects can be changed and that Claritin will be available over-the-counter soon. So hopefully, breathing will be a little easier for more people even if the air never clears.

Another thing I'm thankful for is that even though I've given up on hope before, apparently, it hasn't given up on me.


No comments: