Wednesday, December 11, 2002

~:: Thank God for boody-ism::~

In the same way that someone in the midst of a rough crowd guards a wound with great care, so in the midst of bad company should one always guard the wound that is the mind.

-Santideva, "Bodhicaryavatara"

You know, I was born Christian, and was taught the preliminaries of it until a young age, when our church split because apparently the preacher was gay. We chose the side that split off with him, but it folded soon afterwards. From then on, I had a lot of time on my hands to try figuring out the world of good and bad, right or wrong, on my own. And I have always felt guilty because however hard I tried, I never understood a lot of the teachings from the Bible – in the same way that I never quite understood Shakespeare in high school. And still don't today. But I appreciate them both. But as far as Buddhist thoughts, I understand this stuff. I just get it.

So be it. We get comfort where we can in this world. And as long as it doesn't hurt anyone, it might just help someone in the end. The world's full of enough mystery to ponder. I need a light at the end of the tunnel here on this earth today more than the one at the end of my life.

Everybody does.







No comments: