Tuesday, June 24, 2003

Moving is hard.

I really wish I could be a true minimalist. Just have a bed, a bedside table, a lamp, a computer and table, a tv and a kickass sound system all set up in a Japanese maple armoire with a kitchen table and four chairs, a sleeper sofa and big, comfy chair. Barring natural disaster such as fire, earthquake or tornado, that will never be how I live simply.

But it sure is nice to dream over. Ron makes Organzied Hamster Piles around the apartment; I make Neat Little Stashes in utility closets. Sometime during the night, the Organized Hamster Piles and the Neat Little Stashes have a house party, mostly in the kitchen. I don't know how, I definitely don't know why. But soon, it will stop.

I think the apartment is sad that we're leaving. Laugh out loud if you need to, but the whole feng shui of the place has suddenly turned into feng shite. Two weeks ago as I came to the acceptance that I was in fact moving, the toilet broke. What ever happened to metal toilet parts, now all replaced with plastic? So the toilet is now rigged with a handy coat hanger for flushing, and is officially a miserable little toilet. Complete with plunging episodes numbers one and two.

The shower drain is, well, not one anymore. The bathroom light will not stay switched on, just don't even try it. Honestly, that has been going on for some time, with the light switching off on someone mid-pee. The next thing to break was a kitchen cabinet hinge. Snap! More broken plastic. And the coup-de-grace was last week, when we walked back in to an extremely cold apartment. So cold, even the dishes were icy. The thermostat was set to 76 degrees but the thermometer needle was buried in somewhere in the 50's. Much like Walt Disney, frozen.

This all happened within the last couple of weeks. I think it's weird, and sad. And saddest part is packing. Because everything I touch, I think "I need this... I need this... I may need this..." I haven't run across any tiny item yet that I don't think I need. But if someone threw it out, biting truth, I bet I'd never notice.

No comments: