Thursday, January 02, 2003

Good resolutions are simply checks that men draw on a bank where they have no account.

- Oscar Wilde


Every time I run across some small witicism chortled by Oscar Wilde, I stop and think to myself, "Boy... I bet he was a tremendous pain in the ass to be around."

Happy New Year to everyone. It's gonna be a good one. I swear it is. Don't worry about the impending war crisis (-es). Seriously. Who cares anymore. Don't beat your head up over it, it's going to be a good year. I'll be damned if it isn't.

Last year at this time, I was being downsized "due to the numbers." Damn those numbers. I think one of those numbers was 240 lbs. while the other two came in at around 408 lbs. combined. But, as I say, "let auld acquaintance be forgot". And as Ron says, "Let them eat our butts."

And when he says that, I picture it as a slicing off of a serving of our butts, much like the Grinch carved a big piece off the roast beast and passed it around the table. There's plenty for all, even though our servings will be a leaner and less padded version of those partaking.

There are many things for me to be thankful for. One is that I actually balanced my checking account in Quicken. Finally. After five months of avoidance behavior, I took the bills by the horns and balanced the whole thing. Three times in a row. I feel like I just hit it big in the stock market. I feel like a financial wizard.

And everyone who is a smarmy, pot-stirring, self-appointed jerk can eat my butt, and let God sort through the rest later.

Where did that come from? Oh that's right; it came from my experience with numbers.

This year will be a very good year indeed.









No comments: